SSC CGL Mains Strategy
How to score 170+ in English in 40 Days
BOOST YOUR SCORE FROM 120 to 170+
- 200 QUESTIONS CARRYING 1 MARK EACH WITH NEAGTIVE MARKING OF 0.25 MARK
- 120 MINUTES
- 13 TOPICS
- COMPUTER BASED TEST
- ENTIRE PAPER CAN BE SOLVED WITHIN 90 MINUTES
- ENOUGH TIME TO REVISE MARKED QUESTION
Let’s refer to the number of questions generally asked by SSC in CGL Tier-II examination along with the number of questions you must score to boost your score and rank.
MUST NOT EXCEED
|FILL IN THE BLANKS||5||4||1||80.0|
|ONE WORD SUBSTITUTION||12||11||1||91.7|
LET’S DISCUSS THE LEVEL OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED TOPICS ONE BY ONE:
- SPELLING DETECTION: – This is the easiest part of the Mains Paper. Three Questions in front of you and maximum time you will take to solve these questions is “60 seconds” (maximum). Out of four options out there, two are easily eliminated by all aspirants appearing in Mains Paper irrespective of their competency level (if one gets stuck in this type of question). Questions asked in this section are of repetitive in nature and serious aspirant must solve all previous years’ questions asked by SSC in all exams in last 10 years. 3 out of 3 in this section is must for serious aspirants and make sure you do not lose any lead by marking any wrong answer.
- READING COMPREHENSION:- Voila !!! Answers are there in the computer screen and you just need to find them out. There is no need to remember or mug up any kind of formulas, theories, rules and vocabularies (to great extent). Maximum marks are secured by toppers in this section while giving in minimum time during preparation. Certainly, to achieve this feat, one must not hurry up while solving RCs and focus on each sentence/word failing to which may lead to losing the advantage that could have been avoided. 150 minutes in a week is sufficient to score more than 95% in this topic.
- For Inference based RC or for those who are facing difficulty in RCs – They must read some English News Paper Daily for 1 Hr to learn the sense of English. In last 40 days there is a chance you can improve your performance in RCs by 50% through this way.
- ACTIVE PASSIVE / DIRECT INDIRECT :- Three Days. Yes, Three Days all it takes to score 40+ in these two sections and solving/practicing 1000+ questions in respect of these two topics will enable you to score 45 or more in these two topics.
- Key points to remember:- Don’t skip any option. Even if you know you have figured out the correct Option (Lets say OPTION A), don’t forget to have a look on remaining options. At times, saving few seconds may lead to negative marking in these topics since options are very close to each other. One silly mistake will cost 1.25 marks which we cannot afford in such neck to neck competitive exam.
- IDIOMS AND ONE WORD SUBSTITUTIONS:- Learn, Mug up, Remember and Practice as many questions from as many sources as you can. These topics are interesting and you will always find that answer to most of the questions are known to you (unlike synonyms and antonyms). Don’t leave any stone unturned while preparing these topics and good amount of time must be spent on these topics. Learn bookmarked, difficult or unknown questions at the start while preparing since 45 minutes of exhaustive learning in this area will leave your brain tired and difficulties can be faced to remember each new word/sentence later on. Therefore, most productive time (i.e. initial one hour) of your studies must be given to new or difficult questions.
- SENTENCE IMPROVEMENT AND ERROR DETECTION:- Rules, Rules and Rules. Learn all the rules of basic grammar and practice. Hell lot of practice is required in these two topics to master them. Situation will come when despite all your knowledge and understanding, no rule is applicable and you want to mark an option based on instinct; then GO for IT.
- SENTENCE REARRANGEMENT:- Same as in case of Reading Comprehension. Each time you attempt the test, question will be new to you and no prior knowledge of the question will work. Aim for 90% or more accuracy in this topic. First, have a general look on the question and then try to form the sequence in most correct form, as per your understanding (take help of options, if necessary). MOST IMPORTANT, check each and every option and try to eliminate few options. Find relationship between sentences, chronology of the events, opening or closing sentence. No books, just practice from various sources and devise a method which suits you the most. This section is time consuming.
- FILL IN THE BLANKS:- Relatively easy. Practice previous year questions and remember answers to typical questions which are generally asked by SSC in almost all exams. (For eg:- under/in the shade of the tree or died of / died from ).
- CLOZE TESTS:- This is one major concern for all students appearing in English Mains. Few things which will help you to score good in this section are:
- Observe each and every word closely while reading an article, blog, newspaper etc.
- Get to know the diverse usage of a particular word. For eg:- In how many ways a word “into” can be used.
- Practice cloze tests more frequently. Spending 30 mins on daily basis in advisable.
- SYNONYMS/ANTONYMS:- Most comprehensive and most difficult to attain consistency in these topics. Memorizing hundreds and thousands of words is a cumbersome task and even then, the probability of appearing those questions in exams is quite low. 20 minutes a day is enough to give section on daily basis. For an average student, scoring in these topics is largely dependent on luck factor on a given day and accuracy may varies from 20% to 100%. Spending 3-4 hours in a day on these topics is not advisable. Kindly practice previous years questions for these topics.
At the end, we would like to state that kindly maintain the scorecard of each topic and analyse your weak areas. Do contact us, in case you need assistance or further guidance in certain topics.
POST MOCK ANALYSIS
This part is very much important. After solving every mock you must analyse that mock thoroughly. Check all correct and incorrect responses. Spend maximum time in this analysis. For e.g. You have marked right response for a one word substitution question, but you don’t know the meaning of other 3 options. Try to know the meaning of those 3 options in post mock analysis. This will help you to learn maximum from that mock. Moreover, you can check your time in each and every question. This will help you in time management.
Recommended Test Series
Always happy to serve you. Thank You !