Manhattan terror attack: 8 dead, 11 injured after truck plows through crowd; driver a suspected IS affiliate
At least eight people were killed and 11 injured after a man in a rented Home Depot pick-up truck mowed down civilians after driving onto a busy bicycle path near the World Trade Center memorial in Lower Manhattan area in New York City on Tuesday. The attack is being dubbed as the worst in New York since 9/11.
The driver was shot by the police after he jumped out of the vehicle, screaming and carrying what later turned out to be fake guns in both his hands, officials said. The driver, who was identified as 29-year old Uzbekistan citizen Sayfullo Saipov, was shot in the abdomen before being arrested. He underwent surgery, and is expected to survive. According to authorities, he shouted “Allahu Akbar” (God is great) after jumping out of the truck.
In response to the incident, US President Donald Trump directed authorities to step up the country’s “already extreme vetting”. In a post on Twitter, he said, “I have just ordered homeland security to step up our already extreme vetting program. Being politically correct is fine, but not for this.”
He also expressed his condolences on Twitter. “My thoughts, condolences and prayers to the victims and families of the New York City terrorist attack. God and your country are with you!” He added: “In NYC, looks like another attack by a very sick and deranged person. Law enforcement is following this closely. NOT IN THE U.S.A.! We must not allow ISIS to return, or enter, our country after defeating them in the Middle East and elsewhere. Enough!”
The incident took place at a bike path on West Street, just a few blocks away from the World Trade Center. Apart from striking civilians, the truck also rammed into a small yellow school bus. Two children inside the bus were injured, the police said. A paintball gun and a pellet gun were also recovered from the scene.
Speaking to reporters, Mayor Bill de Blasio described the incident as a “cowardly act of terror”. He said, “This was an act of terror, and a particularly cowardly act of terror aimed at innocent civilians.’ Meanwhile, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo described the incident as a “lone wolf” attack, adding that there was not any evidence to suggest the incident was part of the larger plot.
New York City Police Commissioner James O’Neil said the methodology of the attack and the words used by the man as he came out of the truck led police to conclude it was a terrorist act. All roads across the Western edge of Manhattan along the Hudson River have been cordoned off.
dubbed -करार दिया
cordoned -घेराबंदी कर दी
By Lokesh Saini
- Join SSCtube Telegram Channel - Join Now
- Join SSCtube Telegram Group for CGL 2018/CHSL 2017 Preparation - Join Now
- Join SSCtube Facebook Group for CGL 2018/CHSL 2017 Preparation - Join Now
- Join SSCtube Facebook Group for CGL 17 Descriptive Preparation - Join Now
- Click Here fo SSC CGL 18 & SSC CHSL Tier 1 Test Series
- SSC CGL Tier 2: Take All India FREE LIVE MOCK for Quant & English
- Buy Typing Module for SSC CGL/CHSL - Click Here
- Click Here to check SSC CGL Mains Strategy for English Paper By SSCtube
- Buy SSC CGL Assistant Audit Officer Test Series (Recommended by Topper)
- Click here for IBPS PO 2017 Free Mock Test
- Click here for SSC IMD Scientific Assistant Test Series
- Read Topper's feedback for SSCtube Test Series